Friday, January 09, 2009

A new star on the horizon

Anais Mitchell and Rachel Ries singing "O My Star!"

Click here: YouTube - Anais Mitchell & Rachel Ries - O My Star!

An instant classic. It seems to have already existed in the memory and the history of the nation. Is it a new acquaintance, or have we known this song forever, in our bones, in an alternate America? Evocative, mysterious, lyrical, sweetly haunting. For travellers, sufferers, dreamers, everywhere. This song will be covered by many more famous others. But their versions won't be more touching than this unadorned performance. "Oh my heart,don't fail me now that I have carried you from town to town...why are you so heavy for I can't hold you any more...I can't hold you and I can't put you down..." So much better than most corporate, massively marketed, "music."

And below the link to another superb song, Old Fashioned Hat, written & sung by Anais...

Click here: YouTube - Anais Mitchell - Old Fashioned Hat

Beautiful lyrics, angelic, heartwrenching voice. One of the most moving & romantic songs of recent times. "winter's waiting in the wings and we aren't saying anything....that's all right" "I have loved you for so long...even when I could only do you wrong" "youuuuuuuu...look like a stranger in that old fashioned hat" "that was before I made my home in the marrow of your bones" ".....and then we'll have a honeymoon, and then we'll start to fight"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home