Monday, November 10, 2008

Obama songs

"Somewhere Over the Beltway" (with thanks to Yip Harburg)

Somewhere over the Beltway
Way up high
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a 'Bama-bye.

Somewhere over the Beltway
States are blue
And the dreams that we dream of
Really do come true

This Fall I've wished upon a star
And wakened where the clouds are far
Behind me
Where Cheneys melt like lemon drops
Away above the airport cops
That's where you'll find me.

Somewhere over the Beltway
Blue states fly
If states fly over the Beltway
Then yes I can.....so can I

If happy blue states
And some reds
Fly high
Beyond the Beltway
So can I.........




"It might as well be ...."

It's November and I've just come through a shitstorm
I'm as jumpy as Sarah Palin's trigger fing...
I'd say that I have Spring fever
But I know it isn't Spring.

I'm starry eyed and cheerfully demented
Like a Dixie Chick without a song to sing
Oh why do I have Spring fever
When it isn't even Spring?

I keep wishing Bush, would move his tush,
and Barack was in the House
Oh why oh why must I wait one more season
For the House to be deloused?

I'm as daffy as a broker selling futures
In a market plunging no where but down
I haven't seen a bailout or bullish offering
Just toxic assets all around.

But I feel so gay in a manly sort of way
Since Obama came to town
It might as well be, might as well
Be
Inauguration day.


"Try on a another race" (to the tune of "Put on a happy face")


Gray heads are going to clear out
Put on a happy face
Sweep all the pallid sneers out
Try on another race!

Take off that sneering mask of Dick Cheney
---That's no smile
It's time we Baracked the House in style!

Pick out a can-do outlook
Now that the Brotha's in
Wipe off that fulla doubt look,
Slap on a happy grin

And spread sunshine all over the place, just
Try on another race!
Try on another race!
Try on another race!

And if you're feeling cross and Reilly-ish
Don't sit and whine
Get all Maddow and Stewart-ish
And you'll feel fine!

I heard a Rush so rotten
He'd never laugh or sing
Unless he took Oxycontin
He was a mean old thing!

So spread sunshine all over the place
And try on another race!


"Got a lotta governin'" (from Bye Bye Birdie's "Got a livin' to do")

Barack
There are states, just ready for governin'
And I mean, to govern a few!
Those states, don't know what they're missin'
I got a lotta governin' to do!

Sizzling states all ready for bastin'
After all the blues they been through
Gotta move, 'cause time is a'wastin'
There's such a lotta governin' to do!

The People
There are men, of forty and seven
Who are wise, and won't play the fool
It's their time, to make US a heaven
We've such a lotta governin' to do!

Barack
There are places to go, people to see
Speeches to say
In the U. S. of A!

The People
There are places to go, people to see
Speeches to say
In the U.S. of A!

Barack
Oh, governing's a ball
If only you know it
And it's all just waiting for you
You're no jive
So come on and show it!

ALL
We got a lotta governin'
Such a lotta governin'
Got a lotta governin' ...to do!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home